The difficult part was making sure I drafted it correctly, that I laid out the panels the proper way on the fabric and that I made sure there was enough plain fabric for a waistband while trying to fit them on as little fabric as possible (Spoonflower fabrics aren’t exactly cheap). I wanted it to be able to fit a range of sizes so I had to figure out where each waist size would be and then make a guide showing where to cut.
After a few tweaks and uploading a few different versions, I nervously ordered 4 yards of Cotton Poplin Ultra, hoping I had done everything right and I wasn’t about to waste 70+ dollars. I finally received my fabric on Friday and spent the weekend sewing it up. The verdict: it worked! The skirt sewed up just as I had planned, the only thing I hadn’t taken into account is that the fabric shrank a bit when I washed it, but I adjusted the seam allowances to be a bit smaller to compensate and it worked out just fine. I’m so excited to design some more motifs now that I have the basic layout figured out!
If you’d like to make one, you can find the fabric for sale on Sponflower here:
I have created a guide for where to position the waist seam for a range of sizes which you can download here:
If there is some interest I can make a tutorial for those who would like help on how to sew it together.
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you all have an amazing holiday season.