Super Online Sewing Match Round 2 Project: Roller-Skate Dress

Here’s my second project for Sew Mama Sew‘s Super Online Sewing Match– the Roller Skate Dress by Oliver + S. I may have gone a little crazy with “cutesy” on this one, but hey, it’s a little girl’s dress! As you can see, I decided to make mine with an ice cream theme. I wanted the style and color scheme to be reminiscent of an old-fashioned ice cream parlor.

My original plan was to have the main fabric be a pink and white stripe, but somehow there was none to be found at any of my local fabric stores, so I settled on this pink and white gingham. It’s a really nice woven, 100% cotton fabric that’s much thicker than the flimsy blended ginghams I usually see. Now that it’s all finished, I think I like it better than stripes! Here’s the back view:

The most challenging part of this dress was these ice cream cone pockets. They required a lot of planning to get them to turn out right. First, I drew out the design for them on paper, then made a nice symmetrical pattern with Illustrator. I cut them out in fabric and used Wonder Under to adhere the shapes to a piece of white fabric. I added fusible interfacing to the back of that fabric and then hand-embroidered the pattern on the cone and around the edges. Then I sewed on the linings and turned them right side out, made a buttonhole in each, and sewed them on the front. Then I went over the machine stitches with embroidery floss to hide them.

The best part is that they are actual functional pockets! The “cherry” keeps them buttoned up.

Here’s a closeup of the neckline. I edged it with the same red rick-rack I used on the sleeves and hem. I made the bow with red cotton fabric and stitched around the edges with white embroidery floss.

Here’s a closeup of the hem. I was so stoked that I got the gingham to line up on the back seam!

I did the same stitching as the bow on the button loop.

I love how the dress is fully lined- it gives it such a clean look. Here’s the inside of mine- I lined it in a light cotton batiste (maybe too light-it’s kinda see-through!):

I serged the seam allowances on this one. I was hoping to do french seams but it seemed like it would really throw off the way the pattern went together.

I got my little cousin Carlie to model it for me in my parent’s backyard:

It’s a tad too big for her, but I think it still looks adorable!

This is the first Oliver + S pattern I’ve made (probably because I don’t have kids yet!) and I have to say I really enjoyed sewing this dress. Not only is the pattern adorable, but the instructions were very clear and easy to use and it all went together nicely. It seems like a really versatile pattern that could be made in a lot of fun ways, so I’m sure if I have a little girl one day I’ll be sewing this one at least a few more times!

 I’m excited to see what the other contestants come up with for this challenge. It’s fun to see how each person comes up with something very different yet uniquely awesome. I was so impressed by the projects that everyone came up with for the A-line skirts and I have to admit I was very relieved to learn I had made the cut! Wish me luck getting through this round!