Sewing Project: The Curtain Dress (Butterick B5748)

I found the fabric for this dress at a thrift store in the form of two old curtain panels ($3.95!). I loved the print and the vibrant colors and decided I had to make a dress from it. Of course, my mom found it absolutely hilarious that I was making a dress out of curtains and felt the need to make numerous “Gone with the Wind” jokes, even going as far as to make me watch the Carol Burnett parody on YouTube. Sigh. Anyway, I think it turned out pretty good for a pair of old curtains! I made the bows removable, and I’m still debating whether it looks better with or without them (there’s one in the back too).

I like the way this belt (thrifted, naturally) looks with the dress too, but I think it and the bows cannot co-exist without looking weird.  Hmm…decisions decisions.
This is the pattern I used: Butterick 5748, one of many I bought a couple of months ago when they went on sale on (they have some really awesome deals from time to time). I did view A, but ended up modifying the back slightly and omitting the little slash in the interest of better fit. I also had to change the skirt from a bias to gored skirt to work better with the one-direction pattern of the print. It was quite the headache to cut out, but I think it was worth it! It’s also fully lined in a light yellow cotton broadcloth, which is good because the main fabric is pretty sheer.

Hope you enjoyed my first project post!